Federal Skilled Worker Class

What is a Canada Immigration Visa?

A Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa is a document which allows a person to live and work anywhere in Canada, and confers upon that person Permanent Resident status. It comes with certain responsibilities and may be revoked if the holder does not meet Canadian residency obligations, or is found guilty of serious criminal activity. A person who is a Canadian Permanent Resident may apply for Canadian Citizenship after 3 years.

How is a Work Permit different from a Canada Immigration Visa?

A Work Permit allows an eligible visitor to reside and work in Canada for a limited period of time, and restrictions are usually placed on the type of employment which can be pursued. It will not, by itself, lead to Canadian Permanent Resident status. By contrast, a Canada Immigration Visa entitles its holder to live and work anywhere in Canada, enjoy many of the privileges of Canadian Citizenship, apply for Canadian Citizenship after 3 years and sponsor family members for Canadian Permanent Resident status.

Can I apply for Permanent Resident status and Temporary status at the same time?

You can apply for Permanent Resident status and Temporary status at the same time. You must meet the eligibility of each separately.

I have no status in my current country of residence.  Can I still qualify?

Yes. However, your application may have to be filed in your home country and you may have to travel there to attend an interview.

Will the application include other family members? 

The application can include your spouse and dependent children (children who are under 22 and do not have a spouse or who are over 22 and are still full-time students). 

Where is the application for Canadian Immigration submitted?

You must submit your Canada Immigration Visa Application (Application for Permanent Residence in Canada) to the Canadian Immigration Visa Office responsible for the country of your citizenship or to the visa office responsible for the country you are currently residing in if you have been legally admitted to that country for at least one year.

Under current regulations Federal Skilled Worker applicants must submit their initial application to the Central Intake Office (CIO) in Sydney, Nova Scotia, wherever they may be physically located. 

 I have heard that Canada Immigration Regulations have changed. How will I be affected?

Canada immigration regulations, laws and policies are constantly subject to change. With new governments, new priorities and rules are often established. The effect of these changes will vary considerably from one applicant to another, depending on the particular circumstances. For the latest information on the status of immigration programs and the current requirements, please refer to the Newsletter section or check out our Facebook page.

Is there a benefit to using a consultant for immigration to Canada?

Yes, there is. Immigrating to Canada has over time become more and more complicated. There are currently more than 50 different federal and provincial immigration programs under which an applicant may qualify and it is very difficult for an individual to know which program is most suitable to their circumstances. Even though Citizenship and Immigration Canada permits you to submit a Canadian Immigration Visa Application on your own, statistically, your chances of succeeding are increased if a qualified Canadian immigration consultant represents you. Moreover, a perfected application will, in many cases, shorten the immigration process, allowing you to obtain your Canada Immigration Visa faster. 

What are the advantages of applying through Worldwide Relocation Services Inc. (WRSI)?

Canadian immigration regulations are complex and subject to change, and proper preparation of an application together with in-depth knowledge of the system can mean the difference between success and failure. We have the experience and expertise to guide you through the process, from preparing and filing your application to preparing you for interview to assisting you with landing and settlement in Canada.  

In addition to our staff of in-house consultants, we employ the services of legal advisors and former visa officers.  Our president, Mr. Praveen Shrivastava, is a registered member of CSIC, the regulatory body for immigration consultants.

How do I retain Worldwide to represent me for Canadian Immigration purposes?

Generally, as a first step, we recommend that you complete our free assessment form so that we may determine your eligibility to immigrate to Canada under the Skilled Worker, Provincial Nomination, and Family Sponsorship or business categories.
Alternatively, if you feel that you are qualified to immigrate to Canada and you wish to know more about our services, or would like our consultants to answer your questions, you may contact us and we will be pleased to respond to you. 

Canadian Experience Class 

What does not qualify as work experience?

 Experience that you obtained while not under the proper work authorization (for example, if you worked in Canada as an undocumented worker)

 Work in a job that does not fall under Type O, Level A or B classification under the NOC 

What qualifies as educational experience? 

 Educational experience only counts towards this immigration program when it was obtained from a Canadian post-secondary educational institute. Furthermore, the experience must also satisfy one of the following criteria: 

 You must have completed a full-time Canadian post-secondary program (which lasts for at least 2 years)

 Or, you have completed 1-year of educational study in Canada, followed by a 1-year Canadian Masterís degree program

What are the language requirements for the Canada Experience Class?
All applicants for the Canada experience class must have a certain level of proficiency in English or French. This means that you can effectively communicate, in speaking, reading and writing. The level of language ability that is required for the Canada experience class varies according to the job category in which your work experience was obtained. For example, if you have obtained work experience in a job classified under Skill Level A of the NOC, you will need to prove that you meet the minimum language requirement for that category.

How do I prove my language ability?

1.  If you are applying with English as your first language you may take an IELTS test to prove your language skills. 

2.  If you are applying with French as your first language you may take a TEF test to prove your language skills. 

What if my spouse/common-law partner also qualifies?
If your spouse or common-law partner also qualifies under this immigration program, you must decide who will apply as the principal applicant. A common-law partner refers to someone who you have lived with, in a conjugal relationship for at least a year. A conjugal relationship refers to more than just living together and is essentially a marriage-like situation. Common-law relationships can be both opposite and same-sex couples.  


Who qualifies for a Canada Immigration Visa under the Family Sponsorship category? Close relatives of a Canadian citizen or a Canadian permanent resident

       Spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner; or

       Parent or grandparent; or

       Dependent child; or

       Orphaned, unmarried, and under 18 years of age brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild; or 

       Intended adopted child under 18 years of age; or

       One other relative, if the sponsor has no relative listed above and no relatives who are Canadian citizens or Canadian permanent residents.

Who qualifies as a "Dependent Child"?

For Family Sponsorship purposes, a dependent child means a child who is: 

  Under 22 and unmarried on the date the application for sponsorship is submitted (and still unmarried on the date the child lands in Canada); or

  Of any age or marital status and is a continuously enrolled full-time student, who is financially dependent on his or her parents since before the age of 22 (or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner, if this happened before 22); or 

  Is financially dependent on a parent since before the age of 22 because of a disability.

What financial criteria must be satisfied to qualify as a Sponsor?

To qualify, the Sponsor must be able to demonstrate the financial ability to provide for the essential needs of the Sponsored person(s) and any accompanying dependents. This requirement is waived if:

  The person requiring sponsorship is the spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner of the Canadian Sponsor; or 

  The person requiring sponsorship is the dependent child of the Canadian Sponsor.

What if the Sponsor does not have the requisite financial ability?

If the Sponsor does not have the required financial ability, the spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner of the Sponsor may act as a co-signer to the undertaking. In such case, their combined financial abilities will be assessed, and the co-signer will be equally liable in case of default.

The financial ability requirements do not apply if the Sponsored person is a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner or a dependent child of the Sponsor. 

What other criteria must the Sponsor satisfy?

In addition to the required financial ability, the Canadian Sponsor must:

Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident at least 18 years of age. Be physically residing in Canada, except for Canadian citizens sponsoring a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent child, as long as the sponsor can demonstrate the intention to return to Canada by the time the Sponsored family members lands in Canada etc. 

Where is the Sponsorship Application submitted? 

If the Application is to be processed outside of Canada, the Sponsor must submit the Sponsorship Application to the Canadian Immigration Case Processing Centre located in Mississauga, Ontario. 

If the Application is to be processed inside Canada, the Sponsor must submit the Sponsorship Application to the Canadian Immigration Case Processing Centre located in Vegreville, Alberta.  

Can a same-sex partner be sponsored? 

For those married in Canada, same-sex marriages are valid for sponsorship of a spouse. 

For those married outside Canada, same-sex marriages are valid if the marriage was recognized in the country in which it took place.  Same-sex common-law and conjugal relationships are valid within and outside Canada for sponsorship of a partner.