Sponsorship Class

In Canada, one of the main objectives of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act is to promote family reunification. For individuals who are already Permanent Residents or Citizens of Canada, provided that they meet certain requirements they may be eligible to sponsor their immediate family members for Permanent Residence Status in Canada.

Relatives who could be sponsored include Parents, Grandparents, Dependent or Adopted Children and Spouses. At this time, siblings (unless they are under 22, unmarried and orphaned) cannot be sponsored. However, please note that if your sibling applies for immigration as a Skilled Worker, they may receive additional points for adaptability because they have a relative in Canada.   

All family class cases involve a two-step process, in that first a person must be deemed eligible to become a sponsor. Once they have been approved, a permanent residence application is made to the country for which the relative is a resident/citizen. There are different requirements to meet, depending on the type of relative you would like to sponsor. For information on sponsoring your spouse or common law partner, please click here. For all other relatives, please click here


Often, people immigrate to Canada for better opportunities, but miss the comfort of having their immediate family close to them. Family sponsorship is a way for these relatives to be brought to Canada without having to rely on their education or work experience. However, as with any category, there are restrictions which the sponsor must meet.

To be eligible, the sponsor and if applicable, his/her co-signer (spouse or common law partner) must both show that they:

1. Are over the age of 18

2. Are Canadian Citizens or Canadian Permanent Residents

3. Are living at a Canadian residence

4. Are not on welfare *

5. Have a combined income that meets or exceeds the amount listed as the Low Income Cut-Off for their given family size

6. Have agreed to undertake all financial responsibilities for the person(s) they intend to sponsor for a minimum of 3 years.

*If you are currently receiving social assistance or welfare from the Canadian government, or have ever received such assistance in the past, you could only be considered eligible to sponsor once you have paid the government back for the full amount you received. Additionally, if a person you sponsor receives permanent residency but collects welfare or social assistance within 3 years of their arrival, the sponsor is obligated to pay the full amount collected back to the government. 

To find out if you are eligible to sponsor someone or if your Canadian relative can sponsor you, please fill out our free online assessment form HERE. We will contact you with further information. 


High priority is placed on reuniting couples who happen to be living in different countries. If it can be shown that one person in the relationship is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and that the marriage or common-law relationship between two individuals is truly genuine and has been entered into on honest grounds, the government will grant the foreign spouse permanent residence status in Canada. For this category, it is essential that the following criteria are met:

  • The couple can provide genuine documentary evidence of the development of relationship (i.e. photos, proof of communication, shared assets etc.) 

  •   Official documents (i.e. Marriage certificates, proof of sponsor’s citizenship/permanent residency etc.)

  • Sponsor is not receiving welfare support or can show proof that government has been completely repaid if welfare support was received in the past

  • Sponsor must agree to provide complete financial support (called an “Undertaking”) for a minimum of 3 years.

To find out if you are eligible to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner, please fill out our free online assessment form HERE. We will contact you with further information.